Pages


Welcome.

No Bread Today started out as my "sanity journal," so I could keep a level head and a sense of humour throughout a personal financial crisis. Facing illness, unemployment, poverty (I ran out of money), and the terror of homelessness, I reached out for emotional support by blogging, and support came. No Bread Today has now evolved into something far beyond me. It is a haven and a resource for others in the same or similar circumstances. I will keep writing my own experiences with a chuckle, so enjoy the posts, but I have also added links to emergency resources and a list of places where you can get free meals and inexpensive groceries for low income residents on the Lower Mainland. As I uncover more resources, I'll keep listing them here (scroll down to page bottom to view) and on twitter. With the ecomony being what it is, sadly, there are many of us struggling. Hopefully, No Bread Today will a give you a hand-up. If anyone can add to these lists, please do. If you appreciate what you read here, please share this blog with others, because someone always knows someone, who knows SOMETHING that can make all the difference.

With profound gratitude to those who have been so amazingly supportive so far, and who have given so much of themselves - not out of guilt or any self-serving interest, but purely out of love, compassion and generosity. You are my inspiration. My intentions remain: I am not seeking financial assistance of any kind from this blog. I simply hope this becomes a story of triumph, for all who share it. I hope you laugh as hard as I do. I hope No Bread Today is as inspirational and empowering for you, as it is for me. I hope people will relate, inform, and chime in. I hope I can help you, in return. If this welcome message is the only thing you read, I ask only that if you are able, please donate to your local food bank. People are hurting right now and they need you. Thanks! ~ Jo Bless.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Finally back on my feet again, so here is my last entry in this little blog of mine ;)

Well, my friends, GREAT NEWS! I just received a job offer and I start on Monday. I am deliriously happy :)

Karmic balance has been restored: As a person with a disability, I will be working as Communications Director for a charitable organization for people with disabilities. Now THAT is poetic justice at its finest.

When I started this blog six months ago, I was alone, afraid and in pain, both physical and emotional. Rheumatoid Arthritis had robbed me of the use of my hands, I was in constant pain, and my future looked dismal. My Rheumatologist said I may never be able to continue my career as a writer. So, I did two things: First, I started this anonymous blog because I had to reach out, I was hurting. And help came. People wrote to me, and offered their emotional support, for which I will be forever grateful. In turn, I tried to fill my blog with resources for people who were in the same boat, unemployed, broke and scared. I tried to pay it forward. I hope I helped someone out there. There were many, many times that I couldn't afford food on EI, my medications are very expensive. The Vancouver Food Bank helped me to survive. Thank you all!

Meanwhile, The Mary Pack Arthritis Centre in Vancouver took extra special care of me. My heartfelt thanks to the physiotherapists, especially Cindy who was a godsend, and my occupational therapist. They were there for me when I needed them and helped me to cope. The Centre also referred me to the Neil Squire Society for people with disabilities. Through them, I received training on Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software, which allowed me to keep writing without my hands, and made a career future possible for me. How can I say thank you? The words are inadequate. Through them, I found the job that I start next week. They gave me my life back. Mike and Joe, God bless you!

The second thing I did was start writing a novel. It was pure rebellion, me thumbing my nose at this disease. I would write for 30-40 minutes, then had to stop and ice my hands, then I’d go right back to it. Every word I typed hurt, but I kept going. I am now a few months away from finished. When I told my doctor what I was doing, she couldn't believe it! But she applauded my courage and tenacity. Lesson lived: Never give up without a fight. The dedication in my novel begins with the sentence, “I wrote this novel because I was told I couldn't. Therefore, I would like to thank those few who believed I could.”

It took 5 months for the RA medications to start working, and the pain in my hands finally subsided. They still hurt a bit, but I have Dragon, and my splints, and I am able to endure. Through it all, my best friend, who lives in Calgary, was cheering me on, sending love and support by phone and email, and even sent me food when I had none. She was my angel and I love her immeasurably. May all your generosity come back you x 10!

I also have to mention that, in my pain and loneliness, I found an Owl Cam site on Ustream, Molly and McGee. There I met a group of wonderful, caring people who are as nutty about wildlife as I am. I made many friends and lasting friendships. They helped me through the worst of it. I love you all dearly and your friendship and laughter buoyed me up when I felt as though I was sinking. Thank you, thank you!!!!

To all of you readers, especially Kate, who has been following my blog since day one, God bless you all. You were a voice in the dark that helped me through. Please stay in touch with me at born2bwild_38@hotmail.com. If you ever need a friend, I am there for you.

I once said that I hoped this blog would be a story of triumph. I believe it has. My hope is that you all take heart and overcome your challenges with courage, faith and conviction. All things are possible.

And yes, at long last, I HAVE BREAD TODAY!!!!

My heartfelt gratitude for all your kindness and support. I wish you Love, Peace and Happiness. Adieu my friends.

3 comments:

  1. I am truly speechless after reading your final Blog:) Not because I am not happy, but because I am SO touched by your words and by the "courage, faith and conviction" by which you have lived your life by! Congratulations on landing your new job and no one deserves it more than you!! You are an amazing writer and an even more amazing person. I am blessed to know you and to call you my friend!! Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo,

    It took me a while to see this post, but I am so, so happy for you! You're an inspiration.

    Congratulations on your new job!

    kate
    :-)

    ReplyDelete