Pages


Welcome.

No Bread Today started out as my "sanity journal," so I could keep a level head and a sense of humour throughout a personal financial crisis. Facing illness, unemployment, poverty (I ran out of money), and the terror of homelessness, I reached out for emotional support by blogging, and support came. No Bread Today has now evolved into something far beyond me. It is a haven and a resource for others in the same or similar circumstances. I will keep writing my own experiences with a chuckle, so enjoy the posts, but I have also added links to emergency resources and a list of places where you can get free meals and inexpensive groceries for low income residents on the Lower Mainland. As I uncover more resources, I'll keep listing them here (scroll down to page bottom to view) and on twitter. With the ecomony being what it is, sadly, there are many of us struggling. Hopefully, No Bread Today will a give you a hand-up. If anyone can add to these lists, please do. If you appreciate what you read here, please share this blog with others, because someone always knows someone, who knows SOMETHING that can make all the difference.

With profound gratitude to those who have been so amazingly supportive so far, and who have given so much of themselves - not out of guilt or any self-serving interest, but purely out of love, compassion and generosity. You are my inspiration. My intentions remain: I am not seeking financial assistance of any kind from this blog. I simply hope this becomes a story of triumph, for all who share it. I hope you laugh as hard as I do. I hope No Bread Today is as inspirational and empowering for you, as it is for me. I hope people will relate, inform, and chime in. I hope I can help you, in return. If this welcome message is the only thing you read, I ask only that if you are able, please donate to your local food bank. People are hurting right now and they need you. Thanks! ~ Jo Bless.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rick Hansen is my inspiration. He's still in motion, and so am I.

It's been a while since my last post. I have been busy job-hunting and training on Dragon voice recognition software so I can resume my writing career. Most days, I feel very positive. After all, I am STILL a skilled marketing communications and PR writer. Other days, like today, I experience an almost paralyzing fear. Unemployment takes its toll: financial stress, feeling "displaced," and unwanted, it can be overwhelming at times. I try not to give into my fears, but I have to be honest with you, readers, I feel physically exhausted from all the worrying.

I have been sitting at my desk for hours now, scanning a multitude of websites for job opportunities, and I came across something on the Rick Hansen Foundation site, in Rick's story, that made all the difference. It said, "Growing up in a rural environment with aunts, uncles and grandparents all close by, the close-knit family community played a pivotal role in the development of Rick’s character from a young age. That same close community rallied around him following his spinal cord injury providing strength and encouragement at a time when it made a critical difference to the path his life would take."

If you don't know Rick Hansen's story, I encourage you to read it at http://www.rickhansen.com. It gives me courage to overcome my RA, and puts my own minor physical challenges into perspective. As for support, you all know that both my parents are deceased, that I'm single, and that I have one brother in England who I rarely hear from, so I am sadly lacking in "support group" and "family." Hence, this blog. I heard it said on Oprah the other day, "Family refers to the people who love us when we need them." In that respect, I have one outstanding person: my best friend in Calgary who, just last week, mailed me a huge box of food and much-needed supplies, like toilet paper, deodorant and a new toothbrush. And, there are a few of you out there, anonymous though you may be, who have taken the time to write me with support and suggestions. I can't even begin to find the words with which to express my gratitude. A voice that says "I care" in the night can turn darkness into light. To all of you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. On days like today, you light my way in the dark. And to my best friend in Calgary, whose anonymity I respect as much as my own, I LOVE YOU!!!

As for me, I'm determined to keep moving forward and be the centre of my own "Woman in Motion" tour. How about that, Rick? Thanks for being my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment