Pages


Welcome.

No Bread Today started out as my "sanity journal," so I could keep a level head and a sense of humour throughout a personal financial crisis. Facing illness, unemployment, poverty (I ran out of money), and the terror of homelessness, I reached out for emotional support by blogging, and support came. No Bread Today has now evolved into something far beyond me. It is a haven and a resource for others in the same or similar circumstances. I will keep writing my own experiences with a chuckle, so enjoy the posts, but I have also added links to emergency resources and a list of places where you can get free meals and inexpensive groceries for low income residents on the Lower Mainland. As I uncover more resources, I'll keep listing them here (scroll down to page bottom to view) and on twitter. With the ecomony being what it is, sadly, there are many of us struggling. Hopefully, No Bread Today will a give you a hand-up. If anyone can add to these lists, please do. If you appreciate what you read here, please share this blog with others, because someone always knows someone, who knows SOMETHING that can make all the difference.

With profound gratitude to those who have been so amazingly supportive so far, and who have given so much of themselves - not out of guilt or any self-serving interest, but purely out of love, compassion and generosity. You are my inspiration. My intentions remain: I am not seeking financial assistance of any kind from this blog. I simply hope this becomes a story of triumph, for all who share it. I hope you laugh as hard as I do. I hope No Bread Today is as inspirational and empowering for you, as it is for me. I hope people will relate, inform, and chime in. I hope I can help you, in return. If this welcome message is the only thing you read, I ask only that if you are able, please donate to your local food bank. People are hurting right now and they need you. Thanks! ~ Jo Bless.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Quieting the critical inner voice of self-recrimination. Aw, shaddup.

The folks lining up at the food bank are not a bunch of alcoholics and addicts, as some assume they would be. There is no "ethnic majority" either. People from every walk of life and socioeconomic level are broke. Those who cling to a, "that could never happen to me," perspective are misguided. You'd be surprised how quickly and easily you can suddenly find yourself facing eviction, hunger and homelessness. We're all just one paycheque (or EI, disability or welfare cheque) away from the street. In one fell swoop, a sudden severe illness or emergency can wipe away your job, security and savings. It can happen in a blink. Plus, the recession doesn't discriminate. Those with 6-digit salaries and huge mortgages are in peril just as much as us "regular Joes." They might have a larger "cushion" to eke it out on, but they also have a lot more to lose. That's the upside of having very little. We're more mobile and pack up easily ;) Yay!

Many people like to point fingers and believe folks bring hardship upon themselves. It's the "you get what you deserve" mentality. Ironically, from what I have observed, that particular attitude seems to emanate predominantly from people who have never been in a hardship situation, so they feel "smarter," and "above it." The fact is, they're clueless. I understand that people need to believe in a just world, so it's a fear-based stance. Sure, there are (must be) situations where people bring on their own misery entirely, although I can't think of one at the moment, but life doesn't dole out misfortune like that. You have not been "selected" for crap to happen to. The universe is not picking on you. No one spotted you in a crowd and said, "That one! You deserve to suffer." Besides, I have learned a lot by being "up against a wall." Even if I was somehow selected for this, then thanks! Really, I'm grateful. It's been a soulful experience so far. Maybe it IS a just world, but in disguise. I have received so much through all of this, on every level of being (that sounds corny, but I hope you get what I'm saying).

Why this tirade from Jo today? Well, I recently told someone that cigarette smoking increases the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis. Big mistake. Although I don't smoke anymore, I felt a kind of, "then you brought this on yourself" attitude emanating from the person I told this to. FYI, I was diagnosed with RA last June, and that was the starting point of all my recent financial woes. I couldn't work - doctor's orders. The meds are expensive and ate my savings away. RA was the catalyst. Anyway, sure, I didn't do myself any favours by smoking for 30 years, but here's what the doctor's know (or rather, don't know): "The cause of rheumatoid arthritis is unknown. Even though infectious agents such as viruses, bacteria, and fungi have long been suspected, none has been proven as the cause. The cause of rheumatoid arthritis is a very active area of worldwide research. It is believed that the tendency to develop rheumatoid arthritis may be genetically inherited. It is also suspected that certain infections or factors in the environment might trigger the activation of the immune system in susceptible individuals." See http://www.medicinenet.com/rheumatoid_arthritis/page2.htm

Here's my take, readers: Whatever your plight may be, know what is "yours" and discard the rest. Be honest and brave enough to own "your part" in it, however large or small it might be. Think hard about how you got here, just so you can learn from adversity and avoid this snake pit in the future - but don't take the world on your shoulders. You are not to blame if you're sick. Corporate layoffs are not your fault, and the high unemployment rate does make it tough to find work right now. As long as you are doing all you can and not using any of this as an excuse, you're doing fine. My point is: know where to draw the line. I remember my favourite quote from the movie, Forrest Gump, "I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time."

Poo happens that is beyond your control, and life is hard enough without you "beating yourself up," about where you're at. Blame gets you nowhere. And don't let anyone else verbally beat you up about it either. Keep your chins up and continue moving forward. Persevere. If anyone takes their boots to you when you're down and tries to make you feel like everything is all your fault, tell them to ... well, you know. And whatever your religion or beliefs, respectfully, I personally can't buy into the notion that God puts us in a pickle, as a "test," or "learning experience," or whatever, but I do believe that faith (of any kind) can help you through it. That's been my experience, but to each his own. It's Sunday, time for a rest. Let's all have a mental holiday today, shall we?

2 comments:

  1. Reply to M: Yes, this was semi-directed at my brother (but applies to many). Everything he says to me has blame attached. I don't intend to ever speak to him again in my lifetime. And he better not come to my funeral someday as my friends want to slap him across the face. One male buddy I have will deck him for SURE. You're right, "unconditional love" is not in his behavioural repertoire. Oh well, that's *his* problem, it's/he's no longer mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.. I just realized how hypocritical that is. I'm supposed to love HIM unconditionally, even though he's a knob, right?

    Well, how about this: I'll love him silently. From afar.

    ReplyDelete